Sunday, July 18, 2010

You'll fall and break your neck...

We've said this to my grandmother a number of times. (Not rudely, she's just a wonderfully stubborn old lady in some ways.) Last December, she tripped over a bathroom rug and broke her leg. It was a long, hard recovery for her, but she got through it. On the 3rd of July as we were watching fireworks with my sister and her family, we received a phone call. My grandma had actually fallen and broken her neck! (Don't worry, she's ok... considering.) She was entering her apartment from the hall and something (my guess is the thresh hold??) caused her to lose her balance, even with her walker, and fall down. She broke two vertebrate in her neck. My grandma is one tough old lady, and lived through it. They decided not to do surgery due to her age and brittle bones, so she is currently in a rehab center with a neck brace.
I was finally able to visit her in the rehab center today. She told me that she has to keep her neck brace on 24/7. In the shower, in bed, everything. It is extremely uncomfortable. In fact, she was pulling it down under her chin to talk, and was barely able to fit the chocolate that I brought for her in her mouth. She claims that her neck doesn't even hurt, but that she has a strong, sharp pain in her head instead. I offered to make it a short visit so that she could rest, but she suffered through it for an hour and a half to chat with me. She is such an interesting woman with so many stories to share. There is never a dull moment when Eddis is around! She barely complained about her discomfort and was in good spirits while I was there. She even called later to thank me for the visit.
I am so glad that I have had the chance to get to know my grandparents, as I know so many don't have that same chance. My grandma has been through a lot, and yet, she plugs along. She is generous and kind, thoughtful and funny. Everyone should be so lucky to have a grandma like her.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

She is a spunky little woman isn't she?! I think you're very lucky to have a grandma living so close. I never had that opportunity and I'm envious of those who do. Cherish your time with her!!

Larsen said...

OOH!! Courtney what a terrible thing to happen! I am so sorry that she is suffering through this, even with high spirits.

I agree with Mom?/Cindy that you should treasure and cherish your tiem with her. I worry that Betty will pass away and I won't have had enough time to talk to her, all the time. I so wish I lived closer to my grandma! Aren't we lucky that we both have our moms in our kids' lives too though!!!???

Larsen said...

sorry to hear about your grandma, but what neat things you have to say about her.

kyle

BreAnn said...

How scary! Glad to hear she's ok and doing fine!

Jaycie said...

Very sweet, Courtney. We went to see her last week, but maybe I can take Lily to see her again this weekend (if I can keep her from climbing up the bed this time!)

Luke, Sarah, Chance, Tyler and Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry that your grandma got hurt. It is good to hear that she is recovering. It is also nice that you live close to her so you can visit. I really miss my grandma and know she wont be here much longer so I cherish all the memories I have with her. Take care