I love that my kids are so imaginative. I feel like imaginative play has been brushed under the rug in this generation. Right now, Kayson and Ella are pretending to catch dragons and dinosaurs. I can even hear Kayson yelling 'abracadabra'! It's music to my ears!
Kids today (wow, don't I sound old??) have lost the art of imagination/pretending. They are too busy with TV, movies, and video games, that they just don't play that way. Maybe with all these distractions they don't learn? I remember one day, Chad was playing with my nephews. He is the one who had to come up with the scenarios, ie the tree house is a space ship, and eventually, the boys followed along. As soon as Chad left though, the boys were back in the basement with the video games.
I'm not knocking TV or video games. Heaven knows I watch my share of TV (no, I'm not a couch potato) and I enjoy the occasional video game. (If you ask Chad, he'll tell you that I may have been trying to talk him into getting a Wii for the family) But man, kids just spend all day long on these things if you let them. Admittedly, I let my kids watch too much TV or play too much computer some days. Especially if it's rainy or I'm trying to get something done. But I'm determined to not let my kids fall into the couch potato class! I've been known to play spaceships and super heroes with my kiddos.
I remember as a kid, playing with My Little Pony's and "animals" (pretending to be dogs, tigers, whatever). Sure we played nintendo (see? I told you I was old!), but the idea of hiking in the foothills pretending to be explorers won out most times. Well, there's my two cents. Nurture your kids' creative sides, there's nothing better than hearing what they've come up with this time!
Gotta go, Kayson and Ella want me to go play in the rain with them... How can I resist??
Monday, August 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I agree! kids spend way too much time sitting in front of the TV and playing video games. My fondest memories are the ones where me and my friend would pretend this or that, runaways, explorers, whatever it was we were that day. It was fun!
Oh, man, I agree with you! I used to love it when our kids didn't want to come in for lunch/dinner cause they were playing in their houses (the lilac trees) or in the 'junk yard' (old machinery). Loved it then love to hear their side of it now! Go Court!
AMEN! We don't own any kind of Atari or Wii or X Box, and thank goodness for that. They have to earn any computer game time by doing dishes and cleaning their rooms and vacuuming. Which they are getting pretty good at.
30 minutes on the computer is about our max...I dont' know though if that is a lot or not.
But I hear you!
I'm glad to hear you have an imagination with your kids! I think that kids have great imaginations, and i do think that imagination needs to be nurtured just like their speech, and reading/writing skills. Good for you! I guess we Pack kids had the advantage of a big playground (farm) and had much time to play in our minds. I remember 80% of the time I would go to "calf milk" I was a poor little girl in london working for a mean old man and my wages went to my "fund" to run away. hahahah...
It is true that some kids just sit three feet away from the tv. I hope I can really help my kids be creative. I certainly am working on Hunter haha. I love the dragons things. super cute:]
Hey come over to my new blog! http://gooberfest.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment